How we collect information
To provide our services and continue improving them we need to know certain things about our users – from basic stuff, like how to greet and contact them, to more complex, for example, what their demographics are to gather and analyse global market statistics. There two ways how we get this information.
You choose to give us the information
When you register an account with us, or sign up for separate features, we ask for your personal information, such as your name, email address, telephone number, or credit card details.
We get information from your use of our services
We may collect information about the use of our services, it includes the following:
- Cookies to track your session in order to provide the service and improve your user experience, for example, remembering your preferences, so you don’t have to do the same thing twice.
- Log information generated when you use our services, such as time when you have accessed the service, IP address, and information identifying the session "Wikipedia: Session").
- Device and browser information, including device type (mobile phone, tablet, or PC), model and version of your browser, operating system, etc.
How we use it
All information that we collect about our users is used only to provide, maintain, protect, and improve our service, as well as to protect our business and our customers.
When you contact us, we may keep a record of your communication with us for resolving any issues associated with our services. We may also use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use information collected from cookies to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. For example, by saving your layout preferences, we're able to deliver you our services in a more convenient for you way.
We'll ask for your consent before using your information for any other purposes than those set out in this policy. Our application and data servers are located in several places around the world, meaning that your personal information can be stored and processed outside the country where you live.
How we protect it
We are committed to protecting our data and our stored user information from unauthorised access, alteration, disclosure, or destruction.
- We restrict our employees from accessing your information unless there is a good reason for that, such as providing you with the customer support or protecting your data.
- Whenever possible or necessary, we use SSL protocol to encrypt the information that's exchanged between your computer and our servers.
- We periodically backup all of our data, including your personal information. which is securely stored on remote servers. This measure is necessary in case of a system failure to restore our earlier level of service.
How we share it
We do not share personal information with companies, organisations, and individuals, outside our own business unless one of the following circumstances applies:
When you permit us to do so
We will share personal information with companies, organisations, or individuals outside our business, when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for sharing of any sensitive personal information.
When required by law or for any legal action
We will share personal information with companies, organisations, or individuals outside our business only if we have a belief in good faith that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request.
- Enforce applicable terms of service, including investigation of potential violations.
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues.
- Protect against harm to our rights, our property, or safety of our users or the public, as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners, such as publishers, advertisers, or connected websites. For example, we may publicly share information about global user trends in our services.
How you can control it
Whenever you use our services, we aim to provide you with access to your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for legitimate business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request, such as confirming your email address or phone number.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system, or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning backed up information).
Where we can provide information access and correction, we will do so free of charge, except where it would require a disproportionate effort. We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers, and may not remove information from our backup systems.
What this policy applies to
This policy applies to all services that we and our affiliates offer, including services offered on other sites, but excluding services with separate privacy policies that don't incorporate this policy.
When it changes